2017 Flower and Horticulture Shows
Member in Charge – Eric Nelson 553-4710
Assisted by Master Gardeners
First Show: Mon, July 24 and Tues July 25 Horticulture and Artistic
Second Show: Wed July 26 and Thurs July 27 Tabletop Floral Design
Third Show: Friday July 28 and Sat. July 29 Horticulture and Artistic (repeat of Mon-Tues. show)
There will be two general flower and horticulture shows. The first show will begin Monday morning and end Tuesday evening. The second show will begin Friday morning and end Saturday evening.
The Tabletop Design show will begin Wednesday morning and end Thursday evening. All shows are open to all persons interested in growing and showing flowers and plants as amateur exhibitors.
Exhibits entered in one of the two shows may NOT be entered in the other show. New specimens and designs must be used for the other show.
Judges will hold an accredited degree in the field of Botany and or Horticulture.
The Judges for the Tabletop show will be accomplished in floral design.
1. Entries will be received from 7:30 am to 10:00 am on the first day of each show (Mon., Wed. or Fri.). Entries arriving late will not be judged. Each adult exhibitor must have a season ticket or membership ticket to enter specimens. Group exhibitors for the Tabletop Show must have at least 1 season pass or membership per group entry. One additional set up pass will be granted per group to help set up tabletop. These will be provided before day of show by committee chairperson Eric Nelson 513-553- 4710. Please plan accordingly.
NOTE: Youth entries do not need a season ticket to enter competition unless they wish to compete for money. Those wanting to compete for money premiums will need to purchase an adult season ticket.
2. Entries must not be removed before 9:00 pm on the last day of show on Tuesday and Thursday. Saturday entries must not be removed before 7 pm. If any entries are removed early, the exhibitor will forfeit any premiums earned. ALL
PREMIUMS WILL BE AVAILABLE SATURDAY EVENING AT 7:00 PM IN THE FLORAL
HALL OR ON SUNDAY FROM 10:00 AM-1:00 PM IN THE FAIR BOARD OFFICE. .
PREMIUMS UNDER $10 WILL NOT BE MAILED TO THE EXHIBITOR IF NOT CLAIMED SATURDAY NIGHT OR SUNDAY MORNING.
3. All specimens must be grown by the exhibitor, and must be shown in clear bottles or jars which are furnished by the exhibitor, labels removed (clear pop bottles are acceptable.) House plant and container gardens must be clean and not over 16” in diameter or 14” linear inches and must have been in the exhibitors care for at least 3 months. All plants must be pest and disease free.
4. All specimens must be correctly labeled as to species and class. Flower Show committee will assist with this procedure if needed.
5. Show committee and Fair board will NOT be responsible for injury Or loss of property.
6. Show area will be roped off during judging. Only persons permitted in the Area will be judges and clerks. Judges decisions are final.
Tabletop show area will remain roped off to public during show. However this will still allow adequate viewing of all entries.
*SPECIAL NOTE: All items on tables must remain for the duration of the show. ALL COMPONENTS ARE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
7. Show committee and/or judges reserve the right to combine and/or Subdivide classes as needed.
8. The number of entries are not limited, BUT each entry must be a different Variety.
9. All entries are for exhibit only- NO SALES. THERE IS A LIMIT OF TWO ENTRIES PER CLASS.
10. Cut specimens (roses and horticulture sections) MUST HAVE FOLIAGE Included but not dominate it-except foliage classes where it is the entry.
11. Flower arrangement MUST predominate and cannot exceed 20 inches Diameter or length/width. Accessories are permitted. Judging will be based on several points with the arrangement and relationship to the theme being the main focus.
12. Plant materials used must be LOCALLY GROWN. Plant materials used may be interpreted as fresh/and or dried flowers, foliage, branches, vines, fruits, roots, nuts, vegetables, berries, grain and grasses.
13. No Artificial plants or flower material such as silk or plastic will be Permitted in any class.
14. Coloring of any fresh or dried material is prohibited.
15. Contrived flowers of recognizable plant material are permitted.
16. Tabletops (Wednesday show) will need table covers per assigned table size. Tables will be approx. 30” tall. Drop should be a minimum of 12”. American flags may not be used as underlay for tabletops. There will be no open flames allowed
17. Exhibitors unable to pick up premiums Saturday evening in the Floral Hall or Sunday morning at the Fair Office are encouraged to provide a self addressed stamped envelope for fair premiums and ribbons to be mailed to winners. Items not removed at the end of show will become property of Clermont County Agricultural Society.
HORTICULTURAL SECTION (cut flowers or foliage)
Monday and Friday Shows
Premiums: First- $3.00 Second- $2.00 Third $ 1.00
Best of Show Rosette and $10.00 bonus premium
SPECIAL AWARD FOR CLASS 26. HANGING BASKETS
BEST HANGING BASKETS ON MONDAY AND FRIDAY SHOW WILL RECEIVE A
SPECIAL PREMIUM OF $25.00 AWARDED BY GRANTS FARM and GREENHOUSES.
CLASS 1. HYBRID TEA ROSES (One bloom disbudded)
CLASS 2. FLORIBUNDA ROSES (One bloom disbudded)
CLASS 3. GRANDIFLORA ROSES (including climbing roses) any color Naturally grown (one or more blooms) 3a SHRUB ROSES (one stem or spray)
CLASS 4. MINATURE ROSES (One stem or spray)
CLASS 5. GLADIOLAS (any color spike with laterals removed)
CLASS 6. MARIGOLDS (any color or variety)
CLASS 7. ZINNIAS
CLASS 8. CELOSIA
CLASS 9. SNAPDRAGONS (one spike)
CLASS 10. CHRYSANTHEMUM a. single bloom b. cluster (spray)
CLASS 11. Lily a. single bloom b. cluster (spray)
CLASS 12. HOSTA (leaf)
CLASS 13. ANY ANNUAL NOT LISTED a. flower single bloom b. flower cluster (spray) c. flower spike form d. foliage
CLASS 14. ANY PERENNIAL NOT LISTED a. flower b. foliage
CLASS 15. ANY BIENNIAL NOT LISTED
*CLASS 16. BROADLEAF EVERGREEN (one stem not over 24”)
*CLASS 17. SHORT-NEEDLED EVERGREEN (one stem not over 24”)
*CLASS 18. LONG NEEDLED EVRGREEN (one stem not over 24”)
*CLASS 19. FLOWERING SHRUBS (flowering stem not over 24”)
*CLASS 20. DAHLIAS a. giant b. large 8-10” diameter c. medium 6-8” diameter d. small 4-6” diameter e. ball over 3 ½” diameter f. pompom up to 2” diameter g. any other not listed
* NOTE: container must be large enough to keep specimen upright
CLASS 21. BEGONIAS (any in bloom)
CLASS 22. AFRICAN VIOLETS (any color or variety)
CLASS 23. ANY BLOOMING PLANT NOT LISTED
CLASS 24. ANY PLANT GROWN FOR FOLIAGE ONLLY
CLASS 25. CACTI AND SUCCULENTS
CLASS 26. HANGING BASKETS a. flowering b. foliage c. mixed combination
CLASS 27. MIXED CONTAINERS Note size restrictions in rule section
CLASS 28. JUNIORS AND 4- H MEMBERS
Premiums-- Ribbons only
A. under 10 years of age (as of day of show)
B. youth 10-14 years of age (as of day of show)
ARTISTIC SECTION Monday and Friday Shows
PREMIUMS: FIRST $ 5.00 Second $ 4.00 Third $ 3.00
Best of show- Rosette and $10.00 bonus premium
2017 Flower Show Artistic Theme “America The Beautiful”
#29 Liberty Bell: miniature (max of 6” by 6” by 8”)
#30 Washington Monument: Vertical Design (length and width limited – height is not)
#31 Smokey Mountain National Park: Mostly greens
#32 Yellowstone Park: Mostly gold/bronze/yellow
#33 Statue of Liberty: Red, White and Blue
#34 Niagara Falls: Design must incorporate water
#35 Devils Tower: Open to designer’s interpretation
#36 Grand Canyon: Multi-Color
#37 Golden Gate Bridge: Horizontal Design
CLASS 38. YOUTH FLOWER ARRANGING
Premiums: Ribbons only.
a. YOUTH under 10
b. YOUTH 10 to 14
TABLETOP FLORAL DESIGN SHOW
PREMIUMS FOR TABLETOP DESIGN SHOW
$ 15.00 FIRST PLACE - Plus Blue Ribbons will be award to up to four
participates per group.
$12.00 SECOND PLACE- plus Red Ribbons will be awarded to up to four
Participates per group.
$ 10.00 THIRD PLACE- plus White Ribbons will be awarded to up to four
participates per group.
BEST OF SHOW wins a $10.00 bonus premium.
Tabletop Arrangements will be judged based on
Design, Interpretation of Theme, Originality, and Content
2017 Tabletop Floral Design Show Themes
# 50 Mt Rushmore: Table for Four
# 51 National Mall: Table for Three
# 52 Golden Gate Bridge: Table for Two
# 53 Statue of Liberty: Table for One
YOU JUDGE THE TABLE TOP DESIGNS:
“The Peoples Choice Award,” Chosen by Fair Patrons